Monday 30 June 2014

How I write poems

I've had a lot of people asking me on here and on Tumblr and in real life how I write my poems, like, what is my process. In truth, I don't really have one. Most of the time I hear a line on TV or in a song that I like the sound of and the rest of the poem just follows in like a cascade of pathetic emotions.

I've only performed poetry once at an open mic event thing, and when people asked me afterwards what inspired me to write the poem, I replied with 'its all just whining'. As much as I love reading and writing poems, I can't help but think that most of it is just people moaning about their lives in flouncy language. But hey, everyone needs to vent in some way.

Anyway, I keep all my first drafts of my poems and they pretty much sum up my 'process'. It's just trial and error and a lot of scribbles. For example:

No comments:

Post a Comment