Friday 16 January 2015

Poem: What’s safe(st) to take?

For a long time
I would not go to bed.
I got used to it.
You probably remember those months
where I slept in your lap.
I dripped poetry while you dripped paint
and we dipped our finger tips
in wax
and pinched our skin black.

You would speak
and I would tell you
the taste of it.
For old time’s sake,
Which part of your body
Does this poem go to?
Your fingers or teeth,
The top of your chest,
your throat? Does it touch your face?

I thought you were brave in your
Woman’s jeans, but I found
more comfort in your whimpering screams
in the dark.
Our words were soothing
For each other. Then what?
You told me what was safe to take
And what not to take, or do.
But who told you?

For as long as I let it. And I do.
Despite it being our only home
and our new family.
If that stranger above
our window ever jumps.
I’ll come back for you,
and this time I’ll tell you!
I’ll tell you not to take it

and I’ll tell you what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment