Monday 12 January 2015

Poem: Lovingly Degraded

I once heard someone say
to my friend
“I want to lovingly degrade you.”
And my friend replied,
calm and collected:
“I don’t know my own Father,
so that’s fine by me.”
And here I am again,
in Cambridge, wondering
which direction
promises this conversation,
or at least a cab,
a God,
a merciless mouth.

I walk.
It’s the potential I’m
in love with. The anticipation
of not knowing a soul,
or more importantly
a face.
What turns them on?
Attention (not affection) normally.
Is there a difference?
I certainly don’t care which.
But I don’t like being heartless.
I’m not good at it.
I quit.

I’m quite sure you’ll die 
a modern death,
although I’d like to see you
'happen'.
But you’re not as heavy as the books -
Or as happy.
Even with those heavy
black boots
In a calm procession of
Darling and Honey.
No matter how much money
they throw at us
I fear you’ll always be lovingly degraded.

And I’ll degrade myself.
I’ll be loving.

On behalf of you.

__________________________________

I keep starting new poems before I have time to finish previous ones. I'm literally drowning in half finished, terrible poetry. 
As a rule, I normally post one poem for every ten I write, but in this case, this is the only one I've finished, so I didn't have a lot of choice.
Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment